Bind 9, Views, and Non-Authoritative Replies

Roy Rapoport rsr at aegsys.com
Sun Jun 10 09:34:24 UTC 2001

I'm running BIND 9 (.1.1rc3) and just started implementing views.
An interesting artifact:
Defined two views, one for internal hosts and one for any hosts.
One zone is defined in both views, differently.  Another zone
is defined in just the 'any' view.  I'd half-expect internal hosts
to not be able to query against the second zone since it's not
defined in their view (and the docs say "a client query will be
resolved in the context of the first view whose match-clients
list matches the client's IP address" suggesting there's no
'fall-through').

Instead, what I find is that internal clients, when querying against
the second zone, get an answer, but it's non-authoritative.  This
strikes me as odd.

Is this expected behavior?

-roy