Automatic Secondary NS

David Frank david at datachannel.com
Tue Jun 5 17:16:08 UTC 2001

I am fairly new to the unix environment and as such, am prone to sometimes
silly mistakes. I have recently built a secondary name server and it has
been working great so far. However; I have been checking the syslogs in
/var/adm/messages and noticed after a reboot, that bind 8.1.2 was loading. I
installed 8.2.4, so this seemed rather odd. I then did an ndc restart and
then I noticed bind 8.2.4 started up as well. I am thinking that maybe when
I installed the OS, (Solaris 2.7) the default install installed bind so now
I have two instances of bind running.

my sysolg error message is as follows:

There my be a name server already running on [x.x.x.x].53 (pretty obvious..I
know...)

My question is what is the most effective way to stop the older version of
bind from starting at bootup (or at all for that matter)

Thank you for your time,

David Frank