An odd one

arjen-bind at 3va.net arjen-bind at 3va.net
Tue Jun 5 09:08:45 UTC 2001

On Tue, 5 Jun 2001, Chris Stevens wrote:

> Hey folks,
> 	just wondering if it's possible and how I'd go about this one...
> We have a domain record, isspl.com.au, with a fixed IP which is hosted in
> the DNS servers at our ISP. This is fine, they have redundancy and it
> doesn't cost too much for them to host it. We would like to add another 2
> domains (which we have already purchased) but host the DNS entries ourselves
> as having 3 entries starts to become a little on the pricey side. Given that
> the IP addresses would be the same and the DNS servers would be different,
> is this even possible, and if it is how do we do it? (assuming the ISP will
> give us little to no co-operation so all work would have to be on our end
> with BIND 8.2.3

Sure it is. You will need to contact the registering company (e.g.
networksolutions) and tell them you want to register an authoritive
nameserver under your domain. You will also need a secondary, which you
can also reg, but maybe you know someone who is willing to slave for you.
Make sure your slave DNS is on a different physical network. Then set
the NS records for the domain at the registering company to you new
nameservers (make sure the zones are loaded) and away you go!

> I've read through the howtos and couldn't see anything about this, but I may
> have missed something so don't hesitate to say RTFM if you can tell me which
> M ;)

I bet it is somewhere. Dunnoo where tho..

Grtz,

Arjen.