newbie: BIND not able to use named.root

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Jun 4 19:29:21 UTC 2001

If you lack full connectivity to the Internet DNS and yet for some reason you
need to resolve Internet names, then you must use forwarding. When you use
forwarding globally, i.e. in your "options" statement (as opposed to forwarding
just for one or more zones), then your hints file is essentially useless. When
using forwarding to deal with a connectivity issue, use "forward only" rather
than "forward first".

Note that if you lack *all* direct connectivity to the Internet, e.g. if you
are behind proxy-type firewalls, then generally speaking your clients do
*not* need to resolve Internet names, so this becomes a non-issue. In that
case, set up your own internal root zone.

By the way, doing a "ping" to the root servers is not really a valid test,
since many firewalls/routers block ICMP for security reasons. You should try
querying one of the root servers from the machine in question, and see if you
get an answer (note that, depending on what name you query, the answer you get
will most likely be a referral).

- Kevin