newbie: BIND not able to use named.root

Jean-Christian Imbeault jean_christian at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 4 09:30:51 UTC 2001

I'm new to BIND and DNS. I've been trying to use the O'Reilly book to set up
a local DNS server but it seems the books suffers from a few typos (or
things have changed in BIND 9.1.2) ... I hope someone can point me in the
right direction ...

I've installed BIND 9.1.2 on RH Linux 7.1 and have been able to get my DNS
server to work if I use a forward option to point to my ISP's DNS servers in
my named.conf. But without the forward option the server doesn't seem to be
able to use the named.root file to manage queries on it's own. (Oh, I'm also
behind a firewall but I don't know how to test to see if that is causing the
problem or not, i've tried pinging the root servers but they don't answer).

I've downloaded the named.root file from
ftp.res.internic.net/domain/named.root so I'm pretty sure the file is not
the problem.

Here's the symptom:

>[root at intranet named]# dig www.yahoo.com
>; <<>> DiG 9.1.2 <<>> www.yahoo.com
>;; global options:  printcmd
>;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

Here's my named.conf file:

options {
        directory "/var/named";
         query-source address * port 53;