DDNS updates not working

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Sun Jul 29 07:35:14 UTC 2001

>>>>> "troy" == troy hakala <troy at recipezaar.com> writes:

    troy> I can't get DDNS to work. I get "connection refused" when it
    troy> attempts to update BIND. what causes that?

The ECONNREFUSED -- "connection refused" -- error code is returned
whenever you're trying to talk to something that isn't there. So the
update requests are going to a host that isn't running a name server.

Oh and don't hide potentially useful information behind nonsense like
XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX or "if IN A xxxxx.xxxxxx.xxxxx domain doesn't exist
add 21600 IN A xxxxxx.xxxxxx.xxxxx". [In this case, the information
you hid didn't matter. But that's not generally true.] Always show the
real names and addresses. Do you expect the people on this list to be
mind-readers? Obscuring relevant data is stupid, pointless and
counter-productive. It always helps to see exactly what the name
server sees (or prints). When a posting is poorly worded, someone can
usually figure out what's wrong by querying the relevant name
server(s) for the domain name(s) in question.