difficult problem with DNS and Mail

Gary Kline kline at ns1.thought.org
Sat Jul 21 03:47:06 UTC 2001

On Fri, Jul 20, 2001 at 10:26:50PM -0400, Kevin Darcy wrote:

> You can call the nameserver anything you want. Just make sure you keep the nameserver
> name(s) and address(s) in synch between what you publish from the zone and what your
> registrar provides to the TLD servers. Otherwise you're asking for trouble -- you too
> could join the ranks of the loathed and despised delegation-botchers :-).

	Egad!  No, no, I promise :)   --I had a lot of up-front help
	with this stuff from those who came before; including our sysadmin
	at work.  It was a jumping-off point  and I've been very careful
	to *not* get out of sync.   So after I've clued in about the
	sendmail stuff, I'll be that much closer to getting it right
	the first time.  ...Well, maybe second time!

> As for "mailhub" (or, more accurately, MAIL_HUB), see the cf/README file in the
> sendmail distribution for the basic rundown of how it works and how to configure it.
> If you have more complex requirements, you may want to go to something like
> mailertables, virtusertable or LDAP-based routing instead. But it sounds like all you
> need is a "punt" for inbound mail.

	Thanks for the datapoints.  Looks like I've got some sendmail
	reading to do.  Right now, the main feature I use is access.db
	to keep the SPAM down.

	gary

--
   Gary D. Kline    kline at thought.org  www.thought.org    Public service Unix