BIND9.2.0a2 Source Code

Vaishali Paithankar vaishali at moose.iitd.ac.in
Thu Jul 19 10:54:29 UTC 2001

Firstly, I am sorry for the repetative mails sent by me. This happened
because my earlier mail to the list was bounced back. And I was trying
to send it again.

On Wed, 18 Jul 2001, Kevin Darcy wrote:

> This isn't just a BIND source code issue. You'd have to extend the protocol
> so that the server would send this additional information in a form that the
> clients would understand. And then you'd have to convince all of the server
> and client implementors to adopt the protocol extension.
>
> Overall, you might be better off using a totally different protocol instead
> of piggybacking on DNS. A Server Performance Metric Protocol or something
> like that...
>
> About the best you can do _without_ protocol changes is to convince client
> implementors to use SRV records, which send "preference" and
> "weight" information to the clients so that they can make more intelligent
> decisions about what server to use, and how to do failover. But SRV isn't
> truly dynamic.

To make it dynamic...

How often a DNS loads its zones ?

i.e. if we updated our SRV records frequently, DNS will also have to load
its zones with the same frequency ?

Or can't we load only SRV records or the information that has changed
e.g. only the metrics in the SRV record ?

If you want something dynamic, then you have to go to some