BIND9.2.0a2 Source Code

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Jul 18 21:06:58 UTC 2001

This isn't just a BIND source code issue. You'd have to extend the protocol
so that the server would send this additional information in a form that the
clients would understand. And then you'd have to convince all of the server
and client implementors to adopt the protocol extension.

Overall, you might be better off using a totally different protocol instead
of piggybacking on DNS. A Server Performance Metric Protocol or something
like that...

About the best you can do _without_ protocol changes is to convince client
implementors to use SRV records, which send "preference" and
"weight" information to the clients so that they can make more intelligent
decisions about what server to use, and how to do failover. But SRV isn't
truly dynamic. If you want something dynamic, then you have to go to some
sort of load-balancing solution. If you look in the archives of this list for
the last few days, you'll see that we've been arguing about whether these
load-balancing solutions violate the DNS protocol and/or whether they are a
good idea or not.

- Kevin