One Domain; Multiple IPs.

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Tue Jul 17 16:45:14 UTC 2001

At 2:19 PM +0000 7/17/01, Barry Margolin wrote:

>  We're not likely to do it because we make use of a hidden master, so the
>  registered servers are one step removed from errors in the zone file
>  creation mechanism, and also so that the registered servers don't stop
>  answering for a few minutes while they reload.  But as a mechanism to keep
>  all the servers synchronized would it be so horrible?

	If you choose to use a mechanism other than AXFR/IXFR to
distribute your changes, that's fine.  You're more than welcome to do
that, assuming you follow all the other rules correctly.

	What I was arguing against was the requirement that you be forced
to use some mechanism other than AXFR/IXFR (even if just by default),
because that is contrary to the inherent nature of the DNS.

	AXFR/IXFR certainly aren't perfect, and there is more
synchronization work that could be done through extended versions, or
perhaps related protocols (MXFR, for Metadata XFR?), but they do work
just fine for just about everything except meta-data, and they are
pretty widely supported amongst most server implementations (well, at
least AXFR is).

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root at ihack.net>          */