One Domain; Multiple IPs.

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Tue Jul 17 14:19:17 UTC 2001

In article <9j07vt$b47 at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Brad Knowles  <brad.knowles at skynet.be> wrote:
>	Dependance on mechanisms outside of AXFR/IXFR to synchronize
>masters and slaves is just about the worst possible idea I have ever
>heard of.  IMO, this is certainly one of the worst mis-features of
>djbdns.

We use a database to build the named.conf and zone files for our
nameservers.  After the rebuild script runs, rsync is used to push the zone
files out to the master server.  For a long time I've contemplated the idea
of pushing them out to all the servers, and configuring them all as
masters.

We're not likely to do it because we make use of a hidden master, so the
registered servers are one step removed from errors in the zone file
creation mechanism, and also so that the registered servers don't stop
answering for a few minutes while they reload.  But as a mechanism to keep
all the servers synchronized would it be so horrible?

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA