Duties of a DNS admin.

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Jul 17 03:52:46 UTC 2001

Both the integrity/quality of the DNS data, and the reliability and performance
of the DNS infrastructure, should be important to an organization. I think at
least part of the problem here is taking an imprecise label -- "DNS Admin" --
and expecting that label to stretch to cover both/all aspects of DNS. Around
here, we are somewhat stratified -- I and my group deal with DNS architecture
and the DNS-specific software which actually runs DNS (BIND) and the homegrown
stuff which is used to maintain DNS data and monitor nameserver operation. But
other groups support the OS on the nameservers, and yet other groups support
the hardware. As for data-entry, that's mostly delegated out to various groups,
based on what kind of device the DNS name refers to (Telecom folks maintain
names for network gear like hubs/switches/routers/etc., the Server Group
maintains names for Unix and NT servers, the Office Automation group maintains
names for file servers and LAN-attached printers, etc.). For an ISP, there's
probably less of a call for divvying up the data-entry part among various
groups, although allowing the customer to be able to maintain their own zone
data -- with a ton of hand-holding, sanity-checking and failsafes, of course --
would probably be the closest parallel.

I realize that such a degree of stratification and/or delegation may not work
for all organizations, and it *does* require good communication between the
groups in order to pull off, but I do urge you to consider the possibility that
most of the issue here stems from the imprecision of the "DNS Admin" label, and
the sometimes-rather-artificial organizational lines which are drawn. It may
not be a fundamental difference in your respective approaches to supporting and
maintaining DNS, or in your respective estimations of what it actually takes to
successfully implement DNS in an organization.

- Kevin