Does "@" in CNAME record not work?

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Fri Jul 13 14:54:04 UTC 2001

In article <9im2u8$h08 at pub3.rc.vix.com>, Jim Lum  <jlum at cox.rr.com> wrote:
>Then, as I read the book, I ran across the section that I cited above,
>which I took (and which I guess I still take) to imply that, in a
>"correct" DBxxx.. file, you should TRY to avoid having names with the
>same IP address.  I've read those two paragraphs (bottom of pg. 64, top
>of pg. 65) over several times, and I THINK that's what it's trying to
>say?

The operative word is "try".  If you run into a CNAME restriction, give up.

The CNAME-related restrictions are:

1. A name may not have a CNAME record and other records.

2. A name pointed to by an MX or NS record must have an A record.

3. The zone name must have SOA and NS records.

In the case of a conflict between rule 1 and rule 2 you can resolve it
either by changing the MX/NS record to point to the primary hostname, or
change the CNAME into an A record.  But the only way to resolve a conflict
between rules 1 and 3 is to remove the CNAME record from the zone name,
replacing it with copies of the records from the target name.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA