BIND server monitoring tools

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Fri Jul 13 06:37:16 UTC 2001

At 7:31 PM -0600 7/12/01, Bill Larson wrote:

>      1.    Answers queries
>      2.    Answers queries about authoritative zones authoritatively
>      3.    Slave server has the same serial number as the master (with some
>  allowable time lag)
>      4.    Response time
>      5.    ???

		6.	How many queries is the server seeing?
		7.	What types of queries is the server seeing?
		8.  What other statistics does the server generate which we can chart?

>  Given a reasonable set of requirements, it should be able to design and
>  develop such a tool.  I would like to see something that could be easily
>  incorporated into any number of different monitoring packages requiring
>  nothing more than a simple wrapper script.  Obviously, my bias is towards
>  monitoring systems that can execute arbitrary executables, but this could be
>  enough for many purposes.

	There's two parts to this goal:

		1.  Real time "Is it up?" monitoring

		2.  Historical "How does it perform?" monitoring

	Tools like BigBrother, Spong, mon, etc... are good at #1, but not #2.

	Tools like mrtg, cricket+rrd, orca+rrd, rrdtool, etc... are good
at #2, but not #1.

	All of these tools require some configuration and perhaps some
script development in order to support.  If you want them to be
queryable from the 'net, you may have to also do some work with
Net-SNMP (or other SNMP tool), so that you can take the data
periodically logged by BIND and make it available to programs that
are not on the local machine.

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root at ihack.net>          */