BIND server monitoring tools

Bill Larson wllarso at swcp.com
Fri Jul 13 01:31:29 UTC 2001

Let's turn this question around.  What characteristics of a DNS server need
to be monitored?

An initial list of possible DNS monitoring requirements, give a server to
monitor and a list of configured zones maintained on the server:

    1.    Answers queries
    2.    Answers queries about authoritative zones authoritatively
    3.    Slave server has the same serial number as the master (with some
allowable time lag)
    4.    Response time
    5.    ???

Given a reasonable set of requirements, it should be able to design and
develop such a tool.  I would like to see something that could be easily
incorporated into any number of different monitoring packages requiring
nothing more than a simple wrapper script.  Obviously, my bias is towards
monitoring systems that can execute arbitrary executables, but this could be
enough for many purposes.

Bill Larson