Need to transfer a zone from BIND 4.x to Win2k standard primary DNS server

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Wed Jul 11 21:25:34 UTC 2001

On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 07:28:23PM +0000, Taylor wrote:

> What does the AIX adminstrator have to do on his end to do a zone
> transfer (named.data and named.rev) to our recently configured Win2k
> primary standard DNS server?
>
> Can one do a "pull" of a zone? In other words, could I, as the Win2k
> admin, pull in the records of the BIND zone file(s) from our primary
> DNS?
>
> thank s
> Jeff

That IS how zones are transferred.  The slave server does a request for
a zone transfer.  The AIX administrator can not do a push.

However, he must list your server as a slave server, or (a) you will
never receive NOTIFYs of changes to the zone [and so will only upodate
when the zone expires], and (b) will never be queried by any other DNS
clients.

If you do not want to be listed as a slave server, in recent versions
of BIND 8 and in BIND 9 you can list IP addresses for "also-notify".
If this is not sufficient incentive to your person running BIND 4.x,
tell him that unless he upgrades, he's almost as vulnerable to all the
crackers and script kiddies out there as someone running an MS DNS
server.  ;-)

OSIS Center Computer Support					EMT-B