Need to transfer a zone from BIND 4.x to Win2k standard primary DNS server

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed Jul 11 21:21:48 UTC 2001

In article <9iifqt$os8 at pub3.rc.vix.com>, Taylor  <tjeff at coorstek.com> wrote:

>What does the AIX adminstrator have to do on his end to do a zone
>transfer (named.data and named.rev) to our recently configured Win2k
>primary standard DNS server?
>
>Can one do a "pull" of a zone? In other words, could I, as the Win2k
>admin, pull in the records of the BIND zone file(s) from our primary
>DNS?

Although it's not the usual way to administer DNS on Windows, the Microsoft
DNS server can read zone files in the standard format that BIND uses.  So
you could simply copy the named.data and named.rev files to the Windows
machine.

But if you do it this way, I don't think you can use the GUI to update the
zones, you have to continue to update them by editing the files just like
you were doing on Unix.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA