Failover using DNS

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Jul 10 23:32:20 UTC 2001

You can't do this reliably using only DNS, unless you happen to control
the configurations of *every* DNS server that could possibly be
answering this query, including all servers which cache the name and
answer it to their local clients (in which case you could configure them
all with a "fixed" rrset-order for the name).

The long-term solution to this problem is to get SRV record support in
all browsers. Until then, the only other (expensive) alternative is L4
load-balancing and/or failover.

Perhaps you should consider mirroring the website on both servers. Then
regular DNS round-robin would probably do the job (and you could remove
an address from the list if one of the webservers goes down).

- Kevin