problem: pointing root hints to forwarder only delivers forwarder s root file

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu Jul 5 15:46:35 UTC 2001

In article <9i1uup$l8m at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Van Bemmel, Berend <VanBemmel.Berend at kpmg.nl> wrote:
>I have a problem with a test Bind setup. What I have is an internal domain
>tree that works as a fully delegated tree, with DNS servers all around
>serving their child domains. All this is an internal namespace. To resolve
>internet names there is a Bind 9.1.2 installed on one of our DMZ's that runs
>in forwarding only mode, which I call the 'Gateway DNS'. Further, on the
>internal DNS servers I cant really configure forwarders, since that would
>stop the internal namespace delegation from working.

You can disable forwarding for your own domain:

zone "mydomain.com" {
  type forward;
  forwarders {};
};

Specifying an empty forwarders list overrides the default forwarders.

> Hence I have created my
>own root hints file, with one entry in it, pointing to the gateway DNS
>server.
>What could be the problem here, why do I get answered with the root file of
>the gateway DNS when quering for Internet DNS to my internal DNS in this
>setup?

The hints file is only used as an initial hint to find the root servers
(hence the "type hint" designation).  Since the hints could easily be out
of date, one of the first things that named does when it starts up is send
a query to one of these servers, asking it for the current, complete list
of root servers.  I think that's what you're seeing.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA