BIND NT 8.2.3 Large Zone Transfers Failing

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Wed Jul 4 01:46:43 UTC 2001

At 06:54 PM 7/3/01, Sam Norris wrote:
>Hello,
>
>We have been running a public dynamic DNS service for about 1 year now for users on the internet.  (www.ChangeIP.com)  Our configuration consists of a primary running on MS DNS and 2 secondaries running on BIND for NT (8.2.3 and 8.2.4).  I believe that there is a bug in the named-xfer.exe application on BIND for NT.  We have thousands of zones running on these machines, mostly around 1-5k each.  We do have domain names that we've purchased and allowed users to have free subdomains off of - these zone files have thousands of records.  These zone files are about 150-200k each.
>
>We would like to migrate away from MS DNS and use BIND for all machines, although over this past week we've ran into a major problem with zone transfers.
>
>Actually BIND NT 8.2.4 hogs 100% of CPU across all NAMED-XFER processes... Not sure why, I went back to 8.2.3 and it works somewhat decently.

         This problem has been seen on 8.2.4 on NT.  It is not yet clear why.
named-xfer is waiting to receive the data and never receives it.  It would be important
to find out what the master from which it is retrieving the data is doing. It is
unlikely to be a problem with the records themselves.  If you can turn on debugging
on the master and then try the zone transfer, the problem may become clearer.

         Danny