Foreign Domain Hosting?

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Tue Jul 3 14:28:52 UTC 2001

In article <9hr2ei$7lb at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Michael Kjorling  <michael at kjorling.com> wrote:
>If one couldn't host foreign-TLD domains, we would have a hard time
>hosting any domain really.

Note that some country registrars are pretty restrictive about who can host
their domains.  Some require that the owner of the domain have an office in
that country, and others require that the nameservers be located in the
country.

So while it may be *technically* feasible to host a domain anywhere, it may
not be legally or politically possible.  A few days ago one of our
customers was asking about registering a domain in .EG (Egypt), which I
believe has one of these restrictive policies.  I told them that since we
don't have any presence in Egypt, they would have to find an Egyptian ISP
to work with.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA