PRE-ANNOUNCEMENT: BIND-Members Forum

David R. Conrad david.conrad at nominum.com
Wed Jan 31 22:34:54 UTC 2001

Bill,

At 03:20 PM 1/31/2001 -0700, Bill Larson wrote:
>To continue, you are proposing a multi-tiered support structure.

To be clear, _I_ am not proposing anything.

>There is NOTHING that is being said about when/where/how the rest of us
>will be informed about problems.

Presumably (see above statement), you would be notified as you are now --
via an advisory either on bind-announce, the ISC web page, CERT or whatever
other way you learn of these things.

I believe the intent is to get the fixes to the folks like Checkpoint,
Lucent, Nortel, Redhat, i-DNS, etc. who are basing their products on or are
using BIND in their products so they have the time to prepare new releases
of their products.

ISC tried to rely on CERT.  However, CERT has very incomplete information
(there are a _LOT_ products out now that use BIND and they can't be
expected to keep this information).

>With this proposed
>structure, I don't believe that I will continue to be quickly informed
>of problems with bind.

I don't believe there would be any change in how people outside of vendors
using BIND would be notified.

Rgds,
-drc