PRE-ANNOUNCEMENT: BIND-Members Forum

Bill Larson wllarso at swcp.com
Wed Jan 31 22:20:39 UTC 2001

> Yes.  You misunderstood.  Both Paul and myself had serious concerns with
> how the recent advisories were handled.  In particular, many organizations
> that should have been contacted prior to the advisories being released
> weren't.  ISC has no way of notifying organizations that are using BIND in
> commercial products or services that they should upgrade without also
> notifying everyone.

To continue, you are proposing a multi-tiered support structure.  If
you pay money then you will be the first to be notified of a problem.
If you don't pay, then you will be at the mercy of someone else
informing you of a problem.

There is NOTHING that is being said about when/where/how the rest of us
will be informed about problems.

I believe that this announcement produced a tremendous amount of FUD
since most of us felt like we would be cut out of the loop.  This new
list will make sure fixes to problems will be sent to people with
money, but with a manditory non-disclosure agreement, these receipients
would be unable to assist anyone else.

I am ***NOT*** against the structure of your new group, it just makes
me feel like I'm more on my own than ever before.  Previously I could
always rely upon the bind "user" and "announce" lists to keep me
informed of the most recent developments with bind (and I'm not
interested in the cutting edge "developer" list).  With this proposed
structure, I don't believe that I will continue to be quickly informed
of problems with bind.

Bill Larson