(SOLVED) Problem compiling with SunOS 4.1.3_U1 and BIND 4.9.8

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Wed Jan 31 18:34:05 UTC 2001

    Robert> I'm running on the primary nameserver Solaris 8 with BIND
    Robert> 4.9.8 ( yes, it's old, but it does the things we need,
    Robert> nothing more, nothing less. And yes, we are looking at
    Robert> 9.1, but don't want to implement it yet nor version 8) And
    Robert> compiled it with gcc 2.95.2.  Is that new enough for you ?

No. BIND4 is dead, dead, dead. No matter what OS you run it on or what
compiler you use, dead code is still dead. Even the UNIX vendors have
pretty much stopped abandoned BIND4. They no longer ship it with their
OS. If you're happy running dead code, then carry on. It's your choice
and your systems after all. I wouldn't recommend it. Far too many
things are broken or badly implemented in BIND4.

    Robert> Actually,... that log idea gave me an angle to solving the
    Robert> problem.

    Robert> udp checksum weren't enabled in the kernel:

Sheesh! We're in a time warp back to the days when Reagan was in the
White House and Sun shipped kernels with UDP checksumming switched
off. That Berlin Wall will never come down... :-)