bind v8.2.3 man pages

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Tue Jan 30 09:40:39 UTC 2001

>>>>> "ray" == ray  <ray at doubleclick.net> writes:

    ray> Wierd things I found w/ the 8.2.3 bind-doc package as well:
    ray> on a Solaris 2.6 system, I had to hack the Makefile to use
    ray> /usr/ucb/install rather than /usr/sbin/install ... also for
    ray> some reason, 'make' complained about not finding class
    ray> -mandoc when trying to invoke `nroff -mandoc` per the
    ray> Makefile. Maybe I should have tried using gmake?

No. Changing the make program won't have any impact on this. You need
to use the correct [nt]roff macros. IIUC the ones needed to format the
man pages are not distributed with Solaris. They're found in BSD
systems and in groff, the GNU version of troff. Messing about with the
macro files is a lot more bother than just installing groff. So
install groff and tweak the Makefile(s) to use that for formatting.

    ray> wouldn't it be better to use autoconf for BIND? wait, 9.x
    ray> does right?

BIND9 uses autoconf, but it doesn't format and install the man pages
yet. [This is on my ever-increasing list of things to do.] The BIND9
man pages also use the BSD mandoc macros. So until I clean that up,
you'll need groff to format those man pages too. A future BIND9
release will have the mandoc macros and do the right thing when
formatting man pages on systems that don't have these macros
installed already.