bind: how to accept authoritative answers only?

Mike Tancsa mike at sentex.net
Sun Jan 28 02:15:53 UTC 2001

At 01:19 AM 1/28/2001 +0000, Jim Reid wrote:
>I think you are mistaken. My name server is able to resolve MX records
>and hostnames for their targets for both zones even though one of
>moody.edu's servers is lame as are both of supercom.ca's as you say.
>The name servers you advertise for sentex.net seem to have no trouble
>resolving the MX records for these zones either. So if you have a
>problem delivering mail to them, it probably lies somewhere other than
>the DNS.

OK, a little more digging and I am starting to think this is something
FreeBSD specific in the way that sendmail is built on STABLE and perhaps
the way BIND is built on FreeBSD 3.x.  Suffice to say, FreeBSD using
generic versions of sendmail 8.11.2 and the latest release BIND, do not
seem to have these problems. I will follow up in the relevant FreeBSD lists.

         ---Mike

Mike Tancsa,                          	          tel +1 519 651 3400
Network Administration,     			  mike at sentex.net
Sentex Communications                 		  www.sentex.net
Cambridge, Ontario Canada			  www.sentex.net/mike