bind: how to accept authoritative answers only?

Mike Tancsa mike at sentex.net
Sun Jan 28 01:29:00 UTC 2001

At 01:19 AM 1/28/2001 +0000, Jim Reid wrote:

>     Mike> Actually, this seems to be the behaviour of my version of
>     Mike> BIND (named 8.2.3-T6B) on FreeBSD STABLE.  Mail sent to
>     Mike> domains that are either totally LAME, or where one name
>     Mike> server is LAME and the others are OK do not get there, or
>     Mike> are rejected as coming from sites with no DNS entry.  e.g.
>     Mike> moody.edu (partially LAME), supercom.ca (totally LAME)
>
>I think you are mistaken. My name server is able to resolve MX records
>and hostnames for their targets for both zones even though one of
>moody.edu's servers is lame as are both of supercom.ca's as you say.
>The name servers you advertise for sentex.net seem to have no trouble
>resolving the MX records for these zones either. So if you have a
>problem delivering mail to them, it probably lies somewhere other than
>the DNS.

If you asked my primaries, they are running older versions of BIND. The
problem is on my intake and outbound mail servers which are running newer
versions. e.g.

ruby2# nslookup
Default Server:  ns2.sentex.ca
Address:  199.212.134.2

 > set type=mx
 > supercom.ca.
Server:  ns2.sentex.ca
Address:  199.212.134.2

*** ns2.sentex.ca can't find supercom.ca.: Server failed
 > set type=ns
 > supercom.ca.
Server:  ns2.sentex.ca
Address:  199.212.134.2

Non-authoritative answer:
supercom.ca     nameserver = www2.supercom.ca
supercom.ca     nameserver = www3.supercom.ca

www2.supercom.ca        internet address = 205.207.214.254
www3.supercom.ca        internet address = 205.207.214.252

Mike Tancsa,                          	          tel +1 519 651 3400
Network Administration,     			  mike at sentex.net
Sentex Communications                 		  www.sentex.net
Cambridge, Ontario Canada			  www.sentex.net/mike