Windows NT 4 and nslookup

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Thu Jan 18 03:53:04 UTC 2001

At 11:16 AM 1/17/01, John Melchiori wrote:

>I have just set up Bind v8.2.3 under Win NT4 and am experiencing one problem
>at this time.
>
>WHen I start the service (named) everything loads and the logs look ok. When
>I try nslookup it shows as the default server the secondary server which is
>not being run by me. If I switch servers under nslookup and then try to look
>up domains and such everything works perfectly and the logs reflect the
>queries.
>
>However, even though the logs on startup of named show it is listening on
>the ip address and port I have assigned to the name server (via option in
>config) it appears to default to the secondary name server. I do have a
>resolv.conf that identifies the name server by ip address.
>
>Can nayone lend any assistance or point me to a place that describes NT
>setup of bind b.x.x

         This is not a BIND issue.  It's a tool issue.  If you use the nslookup that
   Microsoft supplies with the OS (it's in system32 BTW), then it will use the
   DNS Name Servers listed in the registry.  You can see them by typing
   ipconfig/all at the DOS prompt.  If you use the version that came with BIND
   then it will use the IP addresses listed in the resolv.conf file if it exists.  If
   the file doesn't exist, it will fall back on the addresses listed in the registry
   and you will get the Microsoft behavior.  If you're smart, you'll switch to dig
   which also comes with BIND on NT.  It's a much better tool. If do this on a
   Win2K system, you need the resolv.conf file as the registry information has
   changed and the resolver doesn't know the new location.  All of the tools can
   be copied to any other NT or Win2K box as long as you also copy libbind.dll
   with them to either the same directory or system32 (or any other directory listed
   in the Path).  This is documented in the notes that came with the kit.  You
   did read them?

                 Danny