help! (excessive queries for www.brodcast.net, stage.broder.c om)

John Coutts administrator at yellowhead.com
Sat Jan 6 19:32:48 UTC 2001

The requests are coming from a program called dssagent.exe. The domain site
requested is registered to:

Broderbund Software (BRODCAST2-DOM)
   500 Redwood Blvd
   Novato, CA 94948-6121
   US

   Domain Name: BRODCAST.NET

   Administrative Contact, Billing Contact:
      HostMaster  (HO653-ORG)  hostmaster at BRODER.COM
      Broderbund Software
      500 Redwood Blvd
      Novato, CA 94948
      US
      415-382-4400 Fax- 415-382-3280
   Technical Contact:
      Christopherson, Jon  (JCV364)  JON at BRODER.COM
      Broderbund Software
      500 Redwood Blvd.
      Novato, CA 94948-6121
      415.382.3188 (FAX) 415.382.3171
---------------------
The program was apparently written for Broderbund (now Mattel Interactive), and
was installed direct from CD's written for children. It is Spyware software
intended to report back to the designer and is supposed to be activated every
time the installed computer connects to the Internet. The Web site is no longer
active, but that doesn't stop installed programs from attempting to connect.
Hence the DNS requests.

There is apparently no uninstall program. Therefore, the registry must be
edited to stop it from loading automatically. So far, we have only detected it
on one customer's computer, but it could be disasterous if a few high speed
connections were to have this program running.

J.A. Coutts
Systems Engineer
Edsonet/TravPro
In article <92g9d9$454 at pub3.rc.vix.com>, Randy.Adams at Telus.com says...