DNS, DHCP or what?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Jan 3 02:41:04 UTC 2001

Some DHCP servers have the ability to automatically update DNS when they give out a lease. Others do not.
You should talk to the DHCP administrator to see if this is possible with your DHCP server.

Your "ping" problems appear to be unrelated. DNS is involved only in mapping names to addresses or other
types of data (for these purposes, mapping an address to a name -- so-called "reverse DNS" -- is actually
mapping a special kind of name to another name). Once name resolution is done, DNS is out of the picture.
So if you're sending packets from the right address to the right address, and not getting a response, then
DNS would appear to be uninvolved. Talk to your network and/or firewall staff.

Sorry, I can't help with "Network Neighborhood" or SMB-related stuff, or "pump" (whatever that is), since
I'm unfamiliar with those areas.

- Kevin