Debug and convert IP to names

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Wed Feb 28 17:19:02 UTC 2001

At 3:46 PM +0100 2/28/01, martincenjor.jl at pg.com wrote:

>       I guess the subject is explicit enough, but still some background. I've
>  also made a thorough search in the mailing list archives with no success.
>  Could anybody give me a tool to convert IP addresses into names? I've tried
>  the one in the "DNS and BIND book" in Chapter 12 tools, but it's in perl
>  and it gives me compilation errors.

	If you've got a recent version of BIND, you should also have the
tool known as "dig".   Try this:

		$ dig -x 123.45.67.89

	Or whatever your appropriate IP address is.  If this doesn't
work, then the administrator for the network in question probably
doesn't have reverse DNS set up correctly for that IP address, and
there may be very little you can do about it.