denied update from win2k

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Feb 26 23:45:22 UTC 2001

Lookman Fazal wrote:

> Thanks for the advice
>
> Just to further clear my question.  The zone win2k.mycompany.com is
> exclusively for win2k machines only.
>
> You mentioned about allow-update.  What is the syntax for doing that in the db
> file?

You don't do that in the db file. You do it in the named.conf file, inside the
zone { } statement. See the named.conf documentation for details.

> In other words the errors which I am seeing on my bind server
> denied update from [135.10.10.10].1421 for "10.135.in-addr.arpa
>
> I want to allow/authorize it

Then add an allow-update to the zone { } statement for 10.135.in-addr.arpa.

But, as I pointed out earlier, not only will this put your 10.135.in-addr.arpa
zone completely at the mercy of Win2K, it means that *all* updates to
10.135.in-addr.arpa -- even for non-Win2K machines -- will need to be done via
Dynamic Update from now on. Be sure you understand the tradeoffs before you add
that allow-update...

- Kevin