Internal DNS Server with Connection to Internet

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Feb 22 21:10:33 UTC 2001

Just define the internal domain on your server and also define an Internet root
hints file. If it has direct access to Internet nameservers, then this should
be all that's necessary -- it will resolve mycompany.com from its authoritative
data, and any other domain from the Internet. If your nameserver only has
*limited* access to the Internet, then you may have to set up a forwarding
arrangement to your ISP's nameservers. Disallow external queries via an
"allow-query" ACL. In order for your internal clients to have a full view of
mycompany.com, the "internal" version of mycompany.com should also include the
external entries, i.e. you have to maintain the external entries in both
versions of the zone.

- Kevin