Bind 8.2.3 P5 on Solaris 2.7

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Feb 26 21:22:04 UTC 2001

It's not at all clear to me what you're trying to do here. Please clearly state which machines
should receive mail for which names.

Are you using "hi" and "hawaii" interchangeably?

What do you mean when you say that hawaii "[should] use molokai as [its] name server and still
use the same ip scheme"? Do you mean that hawaii has only a stub resolver setup and you want it
to resolve queries using molokai? That's purely a matter of how you configure your
"TCP/IP properties" (or whatever the NT equivalent may be) on the local machine; it has nothing
to do with the data you put into your DNS zones. Or, is hawaii running its own nameserver? In
that case, you shouldn't need to worry about what nameserver it will use for "goo.palo.net" --
since there is only 1 NS record for the zone (not very robust, by the way -- that's a single
point of failure), it will always use that one. As for using "the same ip scheme": DNS is
basically a database; it doesn't care what IP scheme you use. Just make sure the right names
point to the right machines.

Moreover, is "goo.palo.net" a *delegated* subzone of "palo.net"? If not, then the MX records,
A records, etc. for the "goo.palo.net" subdomain need to be in the "palo.net" zone. Similarly,
the "goop.palo.net" subdomain either needs to be delegated as a subzone of "palo.net", or all of
its MX, A records, etc. need to be included in the "palo.net" zone. You can't just set up a zone
on your nameserver without any delegation and expect the rest of the world to be able to find
it.

- Kevin