BIND 8.2.2 P5 Solaris 7 Question

Sabrina Fallorina sabrina_fallorina at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 24 06:03:55 UTC 2001

Hello,

My supervisor built an NT machine named hawaii (hi) (and some of this info
has to
substitute the real thing). Our name server is molokai. We are on the
goo.palo.net. He wants to build a mail server on hawaii that will us the
goop.palo.net and still wants to use molokai as his name server and still
use the same ip scheme.

Should I add a db.goop entry to the named.conf file? what "type" do I use if
I do? master?

How should my entries in the db.goo.palo.net files look for the MX entries
and what other entries do I need to make for the machine HI?
Should I put a CNAME entry in the db.goo.palo.net file? Anyway, here are our
files. Please help.

Sabrina

Here's the db.goo.palo.net file

$TTL 86400
; SOA rec
goo.palo.net.	IN	SOA	molokai.goo.palo.net. sabrina.molokai.goo.palo.net. (
			2001022304
			10800
			5400
			604800
			86400 )
;
			IN NS	molokai.goo.palo.net.
;
goo.palo.net.		IN MX	10 molokai.goo.palo.net.
;
molokai			IN A	123.456.789.1
lanai		        IN A	123.456.789.2
router			IN A 	123.456.789.3
hi			IN A	123.456.789.25

>>>Here's what I think the db.goop.palo.net file should look like if I need
>>>one.

$ORIGIN goop.palo.net.
@			1D IN SOA	molokai.goo.palo.net. sabrina.molokai.goo.palo.net. (
					2001022300	; serial
					3H		; refresh
					1h30m		; retry
					1W		; expiry
					1D )		; minimum

			1D IN NS	molokai.goo.palo.net.
			1D IN MX	10 hi
hi			1D IN A		123.456.789.25
dns			1D IN CNAME	molokai.goo.palo.net.
router		1D IN A		123.456.789.3

>>>Finally, should there be an entry for hawaii in our db.789.456.123 file?

>>>By the way. Does anyone know where I can get some step by step guidance
>>>on how to load and configure the new Bind 9.1?

Sabrina