[QUESTION] Delegating zone

Roy Arends Roy.Arends at nominum.com
Mon Feb 26 18:23:38 UTC 2001

On Mon, 26 Feb 2001, Paco Orozco wrote:

> Hiya,
>
> I've got a domain, domain.com which is resolved by NS1.domain.com. I
> want to delegate a subdomain called subdomain.domain.com. in three
> servers NSS1.subdomain.domain.com. NSS2.domain.subdomain.com. and
> NSS3.otherdomain.com.
>
> My question is: How and Where can i delegate authority to this
> servers????
>
> In NS1.domain.com.:
>
> subdomain.domain.com. 	IN 	NS	NSS1.subdomain.domain.com.
> 				IN	NS
> NSS2.subdomain.domain.com.
>
> In NSS1/NSS2.subdomain.domain.com.:
>
> @       IN      SOA     NSS1.subdomain.com. admin. (
>                                         2001022602
>                                         14400
>                                         1800
>                                         2592000
>                                         1800    )
>                                 IN      NS
> NSS1.subdomain.domain.com.
>                                 IN      NS
> NSS2.subdomain.domain.com.
>                                 IN      NS      NSS3.otherdomain.com.
>
> Is NSS3.otherdomain.com. authoritative of subdomain.domain.com.???

This is a form of lame delegation though its not so harmfull. Yes,
nss3.otherdomain.com. will be authoritative if its configured as such. Its
however unlikely that nss3.otherdomain.com. ever will be queried, since no
resolver will learn from ns1.domain.com that nss3.otherdomain.com. is
authoritative. In other words, why not have all listed in the parent zone
(at ns1.domain.com) to divide the load.

Have the _exact_ same set of authoritative nameservers in the parent zone
(as glue) as is listed (and thus authoritative) in the child zone.

Roy Arends
Nominum.