SUMMARY: Non-existent host/domain problem

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Feb 22 22:43:55 UTC 2001

If one is forwarding queries for Internet names, and using one or more private
(RFC 1918) address spaces, one should really define a zone at the *apex* of
each such private address space, e.g. 168.192.in-addr.arpa, 10.in-addr.arpa,
etc., even if one is only using part of that address space. This is to prevent
typos on your network from generating unnecessary Internet queries.

Of course, having defined the apex zone, e.g. 168.192.in-addr.arpa, there's no
reason that subzones, e.g. 0.168.192.in-addr.arpa couldn't be delegated.

- Kevin