IQUERY - what is that ?

Roy Arends Roy.Arends at nominum.com
Thu Feb 22 15:29:19 UTC 2001

On Thu, 22 Feb 2001, Erik wrote:

> Q1 :IQUERY - what is that ?
>  It is also called an inverse query ! Please correct me if I am wrong.

IQUERY stands for inverse query. A query that asks a nameserver to map an
address to a hostname. This query is different then a standard query and
is _NOT_ the same then asking a standard query with a PTR resource record
type.

> I guess that it is NOT the same as a reverse lookup ! or ?

You guessed right. A reverse lookup is sending a standard query with PTR
RR type to a nameserver which holds information for the reverse zone
(.IN-ADDR.ARPA.)

> Q2: How do I test for that ? How can I se if my server supports IQUERY ?

Documentation I guess, or specify what kind of nameserver and version you
use. Probably Bind, as this mailing-list/newsgroup is bind oriented.

Regards

Roy