Bind 8.2.3 on NT/W2k

Christian Schmit cschmit at vo.lu
Thu Feb 22 14:25:56 UTC 2001

Hi,

I just installed bind 8.2.3 on NT and W2K server.

The upgraded was from from bind 4.9.7 to bind 8.2.3.

Everything went fine however I see the following
messages in eventlog :

1) Bind 8.2.3 crashed once on my NT4 SP6a server. The
  event logged was :

"accept: Unknown error"

I saw that this problem was already reported by someone.
Is a solution available?

2) I also have the following messages logged on both NT4 & W2k
primary and secondary DNS servers:

unix control "C:\var\named\bin\ndc" socket failed: Unknown error

AND

ctl_server: socket: Unknown error

Can this cause any problems? Can it be avoided ?

3) On a secondary DNS I also have a lot of the following messages:

Event Type:     Information
Event Source:   C:\var\named\bin\named-xfer.exe
The description for Event ID ( 3 ) in Source ( C:\var\named\bin\named-xfer.exe )
cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information
or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. The following
information is part of the event: malformed SOA from [x.x.x.x], zone
abcd.lu: zinfo wrong typ/cla/ttl.

The program "C:\var\named\bin\named-xfer.exe" is in the mentioned
directory an the permissions are set to full control for group
"Administrator" and "system"

That's all I can report till now.

Any information is welcome.

Christian