MX Record Question

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Feb 21 22:31:30 UTC 2001

If you insist on organizing your zonefile in that particular order, then your
only reasonable choice for substituting "HERE?" is "@". Personally, though,
I'd put the MX record above the $ORIGIN and then all it would require is
leading whitespace in order to be parsed correctly. For that matter, I'd
ditch the $ORIGIN's completely (they make the zonefile hard to read, in my
opinion), use a default TTL (with the $TTL directive) instead of explicit
TTLs on every RR, and use "@" instead of "domain" on the left-hand side of
the SOA RR. This way, you wouldn't even need to fully qualify the NS or
MX targets. So, in my version, it would be:

$TTL 3600
@ soa domain.com. steve.domain.com. (
  1 7200 1800 604800 86400 )
 ns ns1
 ns nx2
 a x.x.x.169
 mx 10 gateway
webmail a x.x.x.3
gateway a x.x.x.5

(You'd never tell it from my verbose writing style, but at heart I'm a
minimalist).

You really should acquaint yourself with master file format. This is pretty
basic stuff.

                                             - Kevin