Forwarding nullifies delegation (again) Bind 9.1

Rob.Burns at itnet.co.uk Rob.Burns at itnet.co.uk
Wed Feb 21 16:53:35 UTC 2001

Hello,

I have looked through the archives but cannot find a definitive answer to this
question:

I have a name server running Bind 9.1 on Solaris 7 which is a slave to another
name server for a particular zone. This other server delegates child zones of
this zone to yet other name servers.

I can resolve hosts in these child zones with no problems. But when I specify
global forwarding in the 'options' statement (which works fine) the child zone
resolution no longer works.

I have put null forwarders in my definition of this zone and I thought that was
all that was required for me to resolve host names in the child zones. Is there
someting else I need to do and if so why?

There are no errors in the message file.

My named.conf looks something like this:

options {
     directory "/var/named";
     auth-nxdomain yes;
     forward first;
     forwarders {10.1.2.3; };
};
.
.
zone "atsap.com" {
     type slave;
     forwarders{};
     file "db.atsap";
     masters {123.123.123.123; };
};
.
.

Excuse the changed names etc; company policy requirement.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Rob.

http://www.itnet.co.uk
http://www.itnet.co.uk/eb  -  Click here to see ITNET's ebusiness capabilities

Any opinions expressed in this email are those of the individual and
not necessarily those of ITNET plc and/or its subsidiaries. This email
and any files transmitted with it, including replies and forwarded
copies (which may contain alterations) subsequently transmitted from
ITNET plc and/or its subsidiaries, are confidential and solely for the
use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient
or the person responsible for delivering to the intended recipient, be
advised that  you have received this email in error and that any use
is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this email in error please notify ITNET Customer Service
Centre by telephone on +44 (0)121 683 4043 or via email to
csccom at itnet.co.uk, including a copy of this message.
Please then delete this email and destroy any copies of it.