dig and root lookups

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Wed Feb 14 17:45:34 UTC 2001

    Michael> I've been using dig to lookup domains on the root servers
    Michael> to make sure the world sees it (since whois isnt always
    Michael> reliable)

You shouldn't do that. Get dig to make your own name server(s) resolve
the names.

    Michael> The problem is I can get this to work on
    Michael> a.root-servers.net, but not on any of the others.  Anyone
    Michael> know why?

Because a.root-servers.net is also authoritative for the .com zone,
unlike the other root servers. The root servers, like most
authoritative servers, do not handle recursive queries. They just
return referrals for names in zones they don't serve. So when you ask
a.root-servers.net about yahoo.com (say), it can answer because it
holds the .com zone. When you ask another root server, it just returns
a referral to the .com servers: "don't ask me, ask these other name
servers".

Oh and please don't put nopam crap in your mail headers. It doesn't
prevent spam. It's also very anti-social on this *mailing list*.