How many queries per second ?

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Wed Feb 14 17:28:38 UTC 2001

>>>>> "marc" == marc  <winzereind at hotmail.com> writes:

    marc> I had made some tests with my dns server (bind8), and i
    marc> found out, he can't handle more than 110 queries per second
    marc> (cpu load < 10 % and memory usage alsow < 20 %).

    marc> Is there a way to set this "magic nummer" of 110 queries up
    marc> to > 110 ?  Because the hardware can't be the problem.

FYI, BIND8 runs on the Internet root servers. Most of them handle a
few thousand queries per second. All the time. (a.root-server.net gets
10-12,000 queries per second.) Most big ISPs have name servers that
routinely handle a few hundred queries a second. So without lots more
information, like your hardware platform, OS, other system load on the
server, your methodology, network bandwidth and connectivity, what
you're measuring, how you generate traffic, etc, etc it's hard to say
why your numbers are so low. There are no "magic numbers" to tweak: a
name server will generally answer queries as fast as it gets them. The
usual performance bottleneck for high-end name servers is the system's
TCP/IP stack: ie how quickly it gets packets up and down from/to the
wire.