Delegation of CIDR Block

Bob Vance bobvance at alumni.caltech.edu
Tue Feb 13 16:23:15 UTC 2001

I'm not sure what you're asking.

Please bear in mind that I am far from an expert on DNS, but I do
know a few things :)

>It is not based on RFCs or clear references to any DNS book but on
>limited experience.

Actually, it is discussed in "DNS an BIND", I believe.
Also, RFC2137 defines it.

My $.02 :
However, it seems that it *was* just a happy happenstance that this
technique was available and took a stroke of genius to discover it -- it
was not part of the original thought processes of DNS, which was created
and defined long before CIDR came into vogue.

>Often the hierarchical breakdown for reverse zones is aligned on
>class-C sub-net address boundaries, i.e. reverse is done in chunks of
>256.

That's the way it was done, originally.  Then came CIDR.

>This ISP seems reluctant to break down the reverse zone into small
>chunks.

That does seem to be true :|

However, as I pointed out, all it takes is a few $GENERATE statements
-- and reliance on the customer to do the thing right, as Andras
pointed out :)

Actually delegating new sub-zones of the "standard" reverse zone and
pointing the CNAMEs into those is a little more work, and for partial
Class C's, I can't really see the advantage of doing it that way.
It means more NS records and more zones.

Tks        | <mailto:BVance at sbm.com>
BV         | <mailto:BobVance at alumni.caltech.edu>
Sr. Technical Consultant,  SBM, A Gates/Arrow Co.
Vox 770-623-3430           11455 Lakefield Dr.
Fax 770-623-3429           Duluth, GA 30097-1511