NXDOMAIN - ??? huh ? need help

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Sat Feb 10 01:06:04 UTC 2001

-Anonymous- wrote:

> > It means one of the NS targets for blabla.org has no matching A record.
> Get
> > one added.
>
>     Thanks for your help on this issue ...
>
>     I added the A record and I'm still running into problems.
>
>     Here's a sample of my setup  (domains and IPs have been modified)
>     // is used only in this example of me making comments right now (it does
> not exist in the real definition)
>
> The Name Server is as follows:
>
> ; The Name Server - File (The DNS server itself)
> $TTL 3600        // yes I know the TTL is less than 7 days ;-)

Nothing wrong with that...

> @               in      soa     ns.nameserver.net.
> postmaster.nameserver.net. (
>                                 2001030606      ;serial
>                                 1d                        ;refresh
>                                 1800                    ;retry
>                                 302400               ;expiration
>                                 3600 )                 ;minimum
>
>                          ns     ns
>                          mx 10  mail.nameserver.net.
> ns                     a      1.2.3.4        // I have ns.nameserver.net
> listed as an A record ...  still the error
> www                 a      1.2.3.4
> ftp                     a      1.2.3.4
> mail                  a      1.2.3.4
>
> Here's a sample domain:
>
> ; A domain being name served by the server above  (same IP)
> $TTL 1800         // again, the TTL is less than 7 days .. I know ;-)
> @               in      soa     ns.hosteddomain.com.
> postmaster.hosteddomain.com. (
>                                 2001030604      ;serial
>                                 3600                    ;refresh
>                                 1800                    ;retry
>                                 100000               ;expiration
>                                 3600 )                 ;minimum
>
>                         ns      nameserver.net.

So, hosteddomain.com has an NS record pointing to "nameserver.net", but
"nameserver.net" owns no A record. Or, at least none that you showed.

Either you should create a "nameserver.net" A record, or re-point the
"hosteddomain.com" NS to some other name that owns an A record already (e.g.
ns.nameserver.net).

- Kevin