Rehashing split views et al in bind 9.1

Cott Lang cott at internetstaff.com
Fri Feb 9 14:45:57 UTC 2001

I've seen several threads on this topic/problem in the archives but no
recommendations. :)

I have a hundred or so domains I host.

I currently manage different internal responses for the two main domains by
running two copies
of Bind 8 bound to different IP addresses on the same boxes. So, 2 out of
100+ domains are different depending on which IP address the client hits.

This requires that I maintain the same list of 100+ domains in two different
config files - a pain, and highly prone to user error (oops - I added it to
one, but not the other!)

With bind 9, I was hoping I could merge the two into one config file and
only run one copy of Bind with views. I, like many people out there, hoped
that Views would "fall through".  i.e., I could have an internal and an
external view - the internal view would be queried first and if an answer
wasn't found, then the external view would be queried.

Then I read the documentation. :)   Obviously that doesn't work. Then I
decided perhaps I could simply use the include directive to #include my list
of external domains in both the internal and external view. However, include
doesn't appear to work within a view?!  This seems rather unbelievable to
me - am I doing something wrong?  (the include statement works fine as long
as it's not within the view ... so unless there's a different syntax for
inside views ...)   If not, is there any chance of this functionality being
added sometime soon (9.1.1 maybe!) ?

Does anyone have any better suggestions for how to cope with this situation
without running extra name servers?

thanks!