Error in syslog

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Tue Feb 6 16:32:00 UTC 2001

"Mark R" <markr at bluecap.co.uk> wrote:

>Hi I'm running Sco5.05 with bind 8.2.3.  I get the error below when allowing
>dynamic updates from a PDC running AD.  Any clues on what this means??
>
>Feb  5 19:05:15 nsdns0 named[1909]: error processing update packet (NXRRSET)
>id 47 from [10.20.10.4].4874
>
>Also the dynamic update had turned my forward lookup file (that I edit by
>hand) somewhat machine like or the way I would expect a slave file to look.
>Why has it taken control of the whole file rather than just add the entry
>for itself?  Well I guess bind itseld did it not the Win2k server but I
>guess u know what I mean?

Search the archives for this list at isc.org for "NXRRSET".  You will
find postings detailing what this means (or read RFC 2136).

As for DDNS reformatting the file, also check the archives.  When a zone
is subject to DDNS, it must NOT be editted by hand.  The archives have
more details.
Barry S. Finkel
Electronics and Computing Technologies Division
9700 South Cass Avenue               Facsimile:+1 (630) 252-9689
Building 221, Room B236              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov