Internal DNS?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Sat Feb 3 01:25:55 UTC 2001

The address in the error message (10.81.11.18) doesn't match the address in
the command line (10.1.1.254). Is this for real, or did you just make a
mistake when trying to "anonymize" the addresses for purposes of this post?

In any case, the basic problem here is that nslookup sucks. Among other
flaws, it aborts when it can't reverse-resolve the address of the nameserver
it is trying to use. Real lookup tools like "dig" don't have this problem. Of
course, you can probably get around the immediate problem by setting up a
reverse record for 10.1.1.254 (or 10.81.11.18 or whatever the real address
is). But nslookup's flaws are likely to bite you in other ways, so you should
seriously consider ditching it and using something else instead.

At the very least, try using the -debug command-line option to nslookup so
you can see what on earth it's doing.

- Kevin