PRE-ANNOUNCEMENT: BIND-Members Forum

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Fri Feb 2 23:04:00 UTC 2001

On Fri, Feb 02, 2001 at 04:11:35AM -0000, D. J. Bernstein wrote:
> Joseph S D Yao writes:
> > Why didn't everybody install BIND 9 two weeks ago?
>
> Funny question. Have you tried asking the root server administrators?
>
> ---Dan

Snipe, snipe.  How would THEY know the motives for the other hundreds
of thousands of system administrators?

As for the root servers - I know that BIND 9 will eventually but does
not yet contain all of the DNS capabilities mandated by the IETF.  I
know that I don't use all of them, so now that it has incorporated the
ones that I do use, I can use it.  I don't know that the root servers
DON'T use BIND 9; but if they don't, I assume that the reasoning is
pretty much the same.

> P.S. For DNS software that actually works: http://cr.yp.to/djbdns.html

It probably works for most of the things I do right now.  I would hate
to put it up for all of our sites, and then find that one critically
needed feature mandated by the IETF was not found interesting enough
for the developer to implement.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B