PRE-ANNOUNCEMENT: BIND-Members Forum

Rick Kelly rmk at toad.rmkhome.com
Fri Feb 2 04:11:50 UTC 2001

Joseph S D Yao said:

>Why do almost half the users still use BIND 4, and a large proportion
>of the rest use out-of-date versions of BIND 8?  Why didn't everybody
>install BIND 9 two weeks ago?

Well, as a small example, rmkhome.com runs DNS on SunOS 4.1.4. While
BIND 8.2.3 compiles and runs perfectly out of the box, my stab a
few months ago at building 9.x.x on that box convinced me that I will
have to install another OS if I want to upgrade to BIND 9. This will
have an impact on my domain as there are multiple applications running
on the SunOS box and I'm not ready to bite the bullet.

As a consultant I seem to have more time to spend on customer domains
that I do on my own.

--
Rick Kelly  rmk at rmkhome.com  www.rmkhome.com